Derby County 0 Liverpool 3

Liverpool are into the next round of the EFL Cup after easing to a 3-0 win over Derby County.

Ragnar Klavan opened the scoring in the first half with his first ever Liverpool goal before Philippe Countinho and Divock Origi struck early in the second half to put the game beyond the Championship side’s reach report the Liverpool Echo .

Screen shot 2016-06-02 at 05.31.59

German keeper Loris Karius made his debut but didn’t get much a chance to impress.

Danny Ings made his first appearance of the season and there was also a debut for Academy youngster Ovie Ejaria as a much-changed Liverpool side maintained momentum after the back to back league wins over Leicester and Chelsea.

The Reds started brightly with Jordan Henderson firing over before Roberto Firmino went close from the edge of the box.

Marko Grujic shone on his full debut as the young midfielder picked out Nathaniel Clyne with a sweeping cross-field pass and then made an important sliding challenge on Jacob Butterfield.

The Reds were far from their fluent best but they were gifted the lead by some shambolic defending on 24 minutes.

Derby made a hash of dealing with Coutinho’s corner and Klavan pounced to convert from close range.

At the other end Lucas Leiva made a crucial hooked clearance after Will Hughes’ free-kick had been flicked on dangerously.

Liverpool should have extended their lead before the break but chances went begging. Origi pounced on a defensive error and could have put it on a plate for Firmino but delayed the pass and the opening disappeared.

Coutinho and Origi both forced saves from Jonathan Mitchell as Liverpool cranked up the pressure.

On the brink of half-time Karius was finally forced into action. Jordan Henderson’s pass was intercepted and Darren Bent raced through, only for the keeper to dash off his line and expertly deny the former Sunderland striker.

Derby brought on former Liverpool youngster Tom Ince for the second half in search of a way back into the contest.

But they were blown away within 10 minutes of the restart.

Coutinho exchanged passes with Firmino and coolly rolled the ball into the bottom corner.

The scorer then turned provider, releasing Origi, who fired emphatically into the roof of the net.

Emre Can made his comeback in place of Henderson with the armband passing to Lucas.

Firmino should have added a fourth when he latched on to Coutinho’s cross but somehow Mitchell kept it out.

Ings replaced Coutinho and Ejaria followed for Firmino.

Karius enjoyed a let-off as he missed Hughes’ corner and Keogh nodded wide. It mattered little.